Total applications received in last grant cycle: 22 applications for a total of $178,136
Grant dollars awarded: $71,100
Average award: $6,464
Percentage of applicants that received grants: 50%
Number of grants awarded: 11
Additional grant dollars awarded through donor-advised fund referrals: $17,600
Application deadline: February 15
Recent grants from the Western Mountains Fund
Photo: Western Mountains Fund Committee members Marcia White, Sarah Strunk, Amber Lambke, Tracy Harty, Karen Hart, Sue Downes-Borko, Alan Duplessis, and Matthew Dubois. Photo Laura Reed
In 1992, the Western Mountains Fund was launched with a gift from the late H. King Cummings, who was an ardent, early supporter of the Maine Community Foundation. The fund’s advisory committee awarded initial grants to Athens Union Meeting House, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kennebec Valley, and Bossov Ballet Theatre, among other nonprofits in the region. Since that time, the Western Mountains Committee has awarded more than $1,050,000 in grants.
The Maine Community Foundation manages the Western Mountains Fund, and local leaders, knowledgeable about their communities, help review grant applications and distribute funding.
Other ways the community foundation is serving the region
- In addition to the Western Mountains Fund, the foundation currently holds more than $2.6 million in assets dedicated to Franklin and Somerset counties through donor-advised funds, scholarships, nonprofit endowments, field-of-interest funds, and designated funds to support specific organizations.
- Since 2002, the foundation has generated more than $111,000 in additional grant support for projects serving Western Mountains region from its network of donors responding to proposals submitted to the foundation's competitive grant programs
- Franklin County scholarships
- Somerset County scholarships
- The community foundation manages more than $3.4 million in charitable long-term funds on behalf of other nonprofit organizations throughout Franklin and Somerset counties.
To make a donation or for more information about the Western Mountains Fund
Please contact the Maine Community Foundation by phone, toll-free, at (877) 700-6800, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Somerset and Franklin County organizations interested in grants larger than $7,500 or funding for capital or equipment expenses are strongly encouraged to contact a member of the Western Mountains advisory committee or Laura Reed, foundation officer.